Guidelines and Application
The federal definition of assistive technology is:
“Any piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.”
Some Examples of Allowable Requests for Assistive Technology
- Wheelchairs (manual and electric)
- Augmentative Communication Devices
- Environmental Controls
- Computer Equipment
- Lifts in the nominee’s own/parent’s van or home
- Hearing Aids
This list is not meant to be inclusive or exclusive of requests eligible for funding under the Elsie S. Bellows Fund.
Some Examples of Ineligible Assistive Technology
- Evaluations or other Assistive Technology “services”
- Furniture and appliances (that is not adapted)
- Equipment to be placed at the UCP affiliate
This list is not meant to be inclusive or exclusive of requests ineligible for funding under the Elsie S. Bellows Fund.
If you are interested in applying for the Bellows Fund, please contact Seana Thompson at (860) 236-6201 x 324.